Money plant has occupied a special place in everyone’s house, plantation without it is incomplete. It is a well-known indoor and outdoor plant. It can be plant in verandah, balcony, rooms, on roofs, terrace etc.
Money plant is found in temperate regions also are neutralized in tropical and sub tropical forest worldwide. This plant is also known as Golden Pothos, Hunter Robe, Ivy Arum, Silver Vine, Solomon Islands Ivy and Taro Vine. But it is very famous as Money Plant in India and Bangladesh. It is considered as a lucky plant which brings wealth, health, prosperity and happiness in the house.
It is believed that money plant is well grown when it is stolen from someone’s garden. Many people apply this trick to grow it properly. But in reality, Money plant is a plant that is gown without more effort. No extra care is needed and it is grown easily by cutting one of the stem from the plant and planted in soil or kept in water. Yes, it is that simple. As it is a creeper its long stem are tied upward with any thread for proper growth and hanging stems gives good look and provide cool shadow.
Surprising facts about money plant
- If it is grown in the open area, the money plant can grow into a 50-60 feet tall tree.
- If grown in a big flower pot, the money plant can only reach 10 to 15 feet tall.
- They are very easy to grow, both in soil and water filled bottles, jars and any flower pot.
- Money plant can be plant in any season.
- It can grow in both direct and indirect sun light. However, too much direct sun light can turn the leaves yellow and even burn them.
- Money plant is very easy to propagate. It’s healthy stem is cut and planted in soil or in water, cutting the leaves from down part.
- Each branch of a money plant has 5 leaves which grow 12 inches long. They are bright green in color.
- When the leaf turns yellow, cut the yellow leaf and avoid extra watering.
- Let the soil be dry don’t add water in wet soil while watering it.
For the growth of money plant, ice cubes are also added in the vase. Once in a month stained and washed tea leaves is also added in the soil.
How to grow money plant in water
- Select a healthy branch of approximately 30cm long and cut at an angle of 45 degree above the node of the plant with 2 to 3 nodes on it.
- Put the cutting in a container like a glass or plastic bottle, jar filled with clean water.
- Keep at least one node below the water level.
- Place the plant in such a direction that proper sunlight falls on it. Not more and not less.
- Be patient. New roots will grow at the nodes in a few weeks.
- Change the water in every alternate day’s as it turns yellow and add clean water in the jar or bottle.
- As water level goes down, add water in it.
- No fertilizer is necessary for the plant
How to grow money plant in soil
- First cut the stem of the money plant and place it in bottle for few days as its roots are grown.
- Select a pot with holes at the bottom. Big pot will have more space to develop their roots, so it can provide proper height to the plant.
- Fill the pot with a soil. Now place the cutting of the stem and cover it with proper soil.
- Water well once the roots are formed to grow it faster. Allow the soil to dry out between two watering.
- Over-watering can damage the roots. Leaves turning yellow and curling up is the sign of excessive watering.
- Put a stick in the soil, so that the vine can climb.
- No special fertilizer is necessary for the plant.
There are many facts about money plant that you must know. For example, money plant in Feng Shui and Vastu is considered to be a lucky plant that brings monetary gain and good fortune.
According to Feng Shui
In Feng Shui, Money Plant is considered one of the best plant which brings prosperity, income and good luck to the owner. The best place according to Feng Shui is to keep in office at work place to increase the amount of money. The five leaves of the branch represent the five elements of Feng Shui; metal, wood, water, fire and earth. These five elements in the leaves are said to attract prosperity to the owner. It is also preferred to be kept in living room of the house.
According to Vastu
If Money plant is not kept in proper direction then you can have financial loss. It is indeed an Air Purifying Plant. It also absorbs radiation and reduces stress. It also brings long lasting friendship due to its heart shaped leaves. But more important is it attracts wealth.
If this plant is placed in the North East direction you may have money loss as this is the worst direction for placing money plant. It ruins the internal relationship of family members leaving them disoriented. The health of family member is also affected by this.
To plant a money plant in your house you need to plant in agneya kone that is South East direction. The owner of this direction is Lord Ganesha and representative is Venus. Ganesha removes all the bad luck and Venus increases the wealth. The cause of vine and creeper is Venus. So Money Plant should be plant is South East direction.