Diabetes is a long life medical condition in which the body cant produce enough insulin to process the blood glucose. It is one of the first diseases mentioned in Egyptian manuscript from 1500 BCE and during the same time the disease was identified by the Indian physicians as “Madhumeha”. In Ayurveda, Madhumeha means Diabetes Mellitus in which ‘Madhu’ stands for honey and ‘Meha’ stands for urine. To control madhumeha Ayurveda recommends the change in lifestyle. Specially walking or fat burning exercise with control on diet is advised. Dietary and lifestyle changes rejuvenate the body cells and tissues, which is beneficial to produce insulin properly.
Diabetes is a disease that comes with obesity, hypertension, extra intake of sugar, and through genes. When sugar level of the body increases then regular, it is said to be diabetes. Blood sugar provides energy to our body from the food we consume and when this sugar is not utilized properly by body and remains in the blood then it causes diabetes. There are three main types of Diabetes Mellitus
- Pancreas secrets insulin hormone which provides energy to the body. When our immune system does not function properly and destroys the cell of pancreas then Diabetes Type 1 occurs.
- Diabetes Type 2 occurs from our genes from our family history or from obesity or uneven diet plan.
- Gestational diabetes occurs due to hormonal changes during pregnancy. These types are again automatically resolved after the birth of a child. The women having gestational diabetes may have a risk of getting type 2 diabetes in the later years.
- If patient is more diabetic then he is likely to reduce his weight.
- Diabetic patient gets tired easily and feels restless.
- Patient feels excessive hunger or excessive thirst which is hard to control. He needs immediately something to eat.
- Frequent urination and sometimes in large quantity which sometimes leads to urine infection.
- Blurred vision which is mostly affecting while driving.
Some daily routine home remedies are given below which are helpful to control the sugar level of the body:
- Use of mango leaves: Dry some mango leaves and grind to a fine powder. Store this powder in a bottle. Mix one tsp of powder with a glass of water and drink it daily. It will be helpful to reduce high blood sugar level.
- Use of Bitter gourd in diet: Use of bitter gourd is recommended for any type of diabetes. 2 tsp of bitter gourd juice daily or bitter gourd as a cooked vegetable is consumed by the diabetic patient. It increases the secretion of insulin and help in balancing the sugar level in the body.
- Use of Indian Gooseberry: Indian Gooseberry is an antioxidant useful in many health issues and this is also useful in balancing sugar level in blood stream. 1 tsp of Indian gooseberry juice and 2 tsp of bitter guard juice is taken in the treatment of diabetes.
- Munching of Flax seed: Flax seed contains fiber which is helpful in maintain weight and its anti-oxidant property it is useful to regulate insulin development in the body which is helpful in maintaining blood sugar in the body.
- Consume fenugreek seed: 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seed is consumed daily with warm water early in the morning to control high level of Glucose in the body. This seed contains fibers which maintain the immune system and allows the pancreas to function properly.
- Cinnamon in use: Cinnamon is a spice which is used for burning fat, but its anti oxidant properties is helpful in regulating insulin production and help maintain blood sugar level in the body. Cinnamon powder can be taken with water or it can be added to the herbal tea.
- Garlic cloves in diet: Consuming raw garlic in our regular diet helps in regulating sugar level in the body. To avoid the smell deep garlic cloves in bottle filled with honey and take two clove daily. Finely chopped garlic pieces are also used in garnishing the main course. Prepare soup containing garlic pieces or paste.
- Person having diabetes should minimize the intake of sugar from their regular diet.
- Walking is considered best exercise and they should regular walk to burn the calories from the body.
- They should have their breakfast and both meal times scheduled and should follow according to that.
- If the persons are on medicine then they should be particular about that and should take on proper time. Even if they are travelling then they should carry their medicine with them.
- If the person is having high diabetes then he should not use rice, wheat, potatoes and sweet potatoes in major quantity. Instead he can use oats mixed with wheat to prepare flatbread, pancake, etc.
- Sometimes sugar free is advisable but try not to take frequently in use. As excess amount too can harm the body.
- Avoid sweet fruits like Chikoo (Sapodilla), Banana, Apple, Grapes, Mango etc.
- Stay away from chocolates, soft drinks, as they immediately increases the sugar level.
Diabetes is not something to be worried and taking lots of stress on the mind but it is to be treated with changing regular habits in our eating and working. Starting of diabetes can be controlled by walking and lower the sugar intake. Also yoga and meditation can be helpful to control the state of mind. As we all know stress is also one of the causes of diabetes and it can be controlled by meditation and yoga.