Sev tomato recipe is kathiyawadi delicacy which is spicy and tangy usually eaten at dinner with bajri flatbread, garlic chutney, and buttermilk. Sev is gram flour vermicelli widely used as a snack which are available in different flavors in the market. This recipe can be made with regular or spicy any type of sev. This variety is very much famous in Gujarat as well as Rajasthan but the same recipe varies with the taste. In Gujarat, a bit of sugar is added to balance the sourness from the tomatoes whereas in Rajasthan, it is made hot and spicy. This is my to go dish when i am out of any vegetables and feel like having something spicy and tempting.
- 1 Cup Sev (Gram Flour Vermicelli)
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 Green Chilies sliced
- 1½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Mustard Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
- Salt as per taste
- Water as needed
- Chopped Cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds to splutter.
- Once the seeds splutter, add asafoetida and onion.
- Cook the onions till they turn translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Now add garlic paste and saute till few seconds.
- Once the garlic leaves its raw smell, add tomatoes and green chilies into it. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and let the tomatoes cook till they turn soft on low heat.
- After about two minutes when the tomatoes are soft and mushy, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Give it a nice stir so that all spices gets mixed well.
- Once you see oil leaving the sides of the pan, add a cup of water and let it boil for couple of minutes. You can adjust the water of the gravy as you desire.
- Now add sev and cook for few seconds. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve hot with bajri roti or plain roti.
Note: Sev is made of gram flour and when added in tomato curry then it will get soften quickly. So it is best to add sev while arranging for dinner. Again if you are using spicy sev then avoid using green chili in it, as the dish will turn very spicy.