For dessert we are serving up a super easy lemon trifle with a sponge that can be baked in 10 minutes. This is a great recipe to keep on hand if you need to whip a dessert in no time (which happens in our house quite often).
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 100 gm butter
- 1½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 baked sponged cake
- 2 cup cherries
- Mix the egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon extract in a heavy bottomed pan and whisked until smooth. Stir and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, until the mixture is pale yellow and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Take off the heat and slowly add the butter while stirring continuously until well-mixed.
- Pour the lemon curd into a bowl and let it cool. Cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract, until soft peaks form.
- Place a piece of sponge cake at the bottom of a dessert bowl and spoon some lemon curd and cherries over it. Add whipped cream on top and repeat with another layer of cake, lemon curd and cherries. Top with whipped cream, garnish with a cherry and serve it.