Ashwagandha is one of the most famous medicinal herb used in Ayurveda over thousands of years to cure many diseases. Withania Somnifera is the scientific name of it which belongs to Solanaceae family. It is also well known with other names such as Indian Ginseng and winter cherry. Ashwagandha is a Sanskrit word known as “Aroma of the Horse” in which Ashwa means horse and Gandha means smell. The plant consists of red colored fruits and green colored flowers which are used in the preparation of ayurvedic medicines. It helps in reducing both physical and mental problems.
Ashwagandha helps to calm the body and can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression. It helps to restore the body and increase longevity. The roots of Ashwagandha are finely grinded into powder which acts as the most powerful medicine. This powder when consumed with water or milk showers numerous benefits on us. And now Ashwagandha is sold as a supplement to make it convenient for travelers and even for those who dont like the taste. This wonderful herb offers many other health benefits.
• It increases the immunity level.
• Oxygenates the human blood and prevents from further diseases.
• As the powder consists of anti-inflammatory properties, it effectively works as a pain killer. So it reduces arthritis and various other pains.
• As it consists of biochemical properties,it acts as antioxidant.
• Those who are suffering from depression, it acts as a wonderful medicine. The anti depressant property in it reduces the depression and provides peace to the mind.
• It consists of anti ageing properties which helps to slow down ageing process.
• Decline in memory power and thinking power is called as Dementia. Daily intake of this powder reduces Dementia.
• Fights with cancer. Regular intake of the powder along with chemo therapy prevents from cancer which is well advised by a doctor.
• Blood Pressure is the most common problem faced by many now-a-days. So to reduce the pressure, this powder acts a strong agent.
• Recent studies say that the intake of this powder reduces sexual problems.
• Reduces the sugar levels and helps in maintaining normal level.
• Reduces cholesterol.
• Helps in digestion.
• Reduces insomnia and provides a peaceful sleep.
• Helps in the reduction of white discharge in women.
• This powder will do wonders for those who are planning for pregnancy.
• Purifies the blood.
• Reduces heart related problems.
• Increases the vision.
Ashwagandha not only provides health benefits but also works as a wonderful agent for skin and hair.
The following are the benefits of Ashwagandha powder when applied as a face pack.
• Reduces pimples.
• Gives blemish free skin.
• Reduces freckles and wrinkles.
• Provides glow to the skin.
• Tightens the skin.
• Removes dirt.
• Reduces pores.
People with dry skin, mix the powder with olive oil or coconut oil and apply it. Those who have oily skin mix the powder with rose water and then apply to benefit the wonderful results.
The most common problem in both men and women are hairfall, dandruff, and grey hair. To overcome these problems Ashwagandha plays a vital role. So, let us go through the miracle hair pack with Ashwagandha.
Take 2 spoons of Ashwagandha powder in a bowl. Add 3 spoons of yogurt and 1 spoon of lemon juice in it. Mix it to make a paste and apply it on clean and dry hair. Leave it for half an hour and then wash it off with a mild shampoo.
Do this process weekly once for a month to get better results. This hair pack also provides healthy blood circulation in the scalp, stimulates hair follicles, and regulates hair growth.
Ashwagandha tea helps to increase energy levels gradually by treating mental and physical fatigue. Combine one cup of hot water with half teaspoon of Ashwagandha powder to make Ashwagandha tea. You can add honey to taste.
We all know that every medicine has an advantage and a disadvantage. So over dosage of Ashwagandha may result in the following side effects:
• Pregnant woman should not use this powder because it leads to pre birth of the child.
• Breast feeding woman should not consume it.
• Should not consume with Allopathic medicine.
• Over usage results in low BP.
• Person with sensitive digestive system results in swelling of the stomach.
• Stomach ache.
• Results in inflammation.