Diabetes is chronic disease in which the sugar level of the body increases then regular. Blood sugar provides energy to our body from the food we consume and insulin is a hormone that helps this blood sugar gets into the cells to give you the energy. When this sugar is not utilized properly by body and remains in the blood then it causes diabetes. Nearly, one in every four person has diabetes. There are at least 15 people among my family and friends who are diabetic. Many diabetic patients have to be punctual in following their daily routine of food and medicines, not because of their habit but because of diabetes. Within couple of hours they need to munch on something else they’ll feel week and fatigued. Let us check out since when this prolonged disease came.
Diabetes was one of the first diseases mentioned in Egyptian manuscript from 1500 BCE known as “too great emptying of the urine” which was then identified by the Indian physicians as “Madhumeha” (from wiki). In Ayurveda, Madhumeha means Diabetes Mellitus in which ‘Madhu’ stands for honey and ‘meha’ stands for urine. To control Madhumeha, Ayurveda recommended the change in lifestyle. Specially walking or fat burning exercise with control on diet is advised. Dietary and lifestyle changes rejuvenate the body cells and tissues, which is beneficial to produce insulin properly.
There are number of reasons that can cause diabetes. Apart from being a genetic disease, Diabetes can also be caused due to stress, hypertension, and extra intake of sugar and inadequate standard of living. Over a prolonged period, diabetes can be a cause of some other disease such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, and can also damage your kidney, eyes, and nerves. Some of the common causes of Diabetes are:
- Pancreas secrets insulin hormone which provides energy to the body. When our immune system does not function properly and destroy the cell of pancreas then Diabetes Type 1 occurs.
- Diabetes Type 2 occurs from our genes from our family history or from obesity or uneven diet plan.
- Gestational diabetes occurs due to hormonal changes during pregnancy. This type is again automatically resolved after the birth of a child. The woman having gestational diabetes may have a risk of getting type 2 diabetes in the later years.
- If patient is diabetic then he is likely to reduce his weight.
- Diabetic patient gets tired easily and feels restless.
- Patient feels excessive hunger or excessive thirst that is hard to control.
- Frequent urination and sometimes in large quantity which sometimes leads to urine infection.
- Blurred vision which is mostly affected while driving.
Some daily routine home remedies are given below which are helpful to control the sugar level of the body:
- Use of Mango Leaves: Dry some mango leaves and grind to a fine powder. Store this powder in a bottle. Mix one tsp of powder with a glass of water and drink it daily. It will be helpful to reduce high blood sugar level.
- Use of Bitter Gourd in diet: Use of bitter gourd is recommended for any type of diabetes. 2 teaspoon of bitter gourd juice daily or bitter gourd as a cooked vegetable is consumed by the diabetic patient. It increases the secretion of insulin and helps in balancing the sugar level in the body.
- Use of Indian Gooseberry: Indian Gooseberry is an antioxidant useful for various health issues and this is also useful in balancing sugar level in blood stream. 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry juice and 2 tsp of bitter guard juice is taken in the treatment of diabetes.
- Munching of Flax Seed: Flax seed contains fiber which is helpful in maintaining weight and its anti-oxidant property is useful to regulate insulin development in the body which is helpful in maintaining blood sugar in the body.
- Consume Fenugreek Seed: 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seed is consumed daily with warm water early in the morning to control high level of glucose in the body. This seed contains fibers which maintain the immune system and allows the pancreas to function properly.
- Using Cinnamon: Cinnamon is a spice which is used for burning fat, but its anti oxidant properties is helpful in regulating insulin production and help maintain blood sugar level in the body. Cinnamon powder can be taken with water or it can be added to the herbal tea.
- Garlic cloves in diet: Consuming raw garlic in our regular diet helps in regulating sugar level in the body. To avoid the smell immerse garlic cloves in a bottle filled with honey and take two garlic cloves daily. Finely chopped garlic pieces are also used in garnishing the main course. Prepare soup containing garlic pieces or paste.
- Person having diabetes should minimize the intake of sugar from their regular diet.
- Walking is considered best exercise and they should regularly walk to burn the calories from the body. Other exercise can be running, biking, and swimming.
- They should eat their breakfast and both meals on time and should follow a daily regime.
- If the person is on medication, then they should be very particular about taking the medicine on a scheduled time. While travelling they should carry their medicines with them.
- If the person is having high diabetes then he should limit the use of rice, wheat, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. Instead one can use oats mixed with wheat to prepare flatbread, pancake, etc.
- Sometimes sugar free is advisable but try not to take frequently in use. As excess amount too can harm the body.
- Avoid sweet fruits like Chikkoo (Sapodilla), Banana, Apple, Grapes, Mango etc.
- Try to avoid alcohol, chocolates, soft drinks, as they immediately increases the sugar level.
Diabetes is not something to be worried about. Taking lot of stress on mind can be the cause of many other diseases. Diabetes should be treated with changing regular habits in our eating and working. Diabetes can be controlled by walking and lower the sugar intake. Stress is one of the causes of diabetes and it can be controlled by meditation and yoga.