Idli Sambhar, the best and super delicious South Indian food is relished in all parts of the nation. This is the one recipe that has much twist in Idli’s and so the recipe changes with the color and style of cooking idli. Simple Idli can be turned vegetable idli by adding green peas in the batter, it can be more special when dry fruits such as cashew nuts and pieces of almond is added into it. Sweet lovers also love to add dried grapes. Some love to add turmeric and red chili powder to change the color and taste of idli. Also the very famous idli is Rava idli which is cooked by making the batter of Rava or semolina.
Idly is a light food that is better to take as breakfast in the morning. Everyone who knows the importance of morning breakfast and wish to be healthy prefer Idli Sambhar as their breakfast with coconut chutney which is very famous in south India. But someone like me, love to have it in dinner as idli’s are steamed and are light on tummy. The preparation does not take much time. Mostly idli can be made by using both rice and idli rava. By using idli rava we do not need to grind the rice separately to make the batter. Let us see the recipe of Idli, Sambhar, and Coconut Chutney.
Ingredients for Idli:
1. 1 cup Urad Dal
2. 2 cups Rice (2 ½ cups for wet grinder)
3. Salt as per requirement.
Grinding and Fermentation Process:
1. Wash the dal and rice in a separate bowl.
2. Soak them separately in enough water up to 5 to 6 hours.
3. Grind the dal very fine with little water as per requirement.
4. Similarly grind rice in a regular grinder or wet grinder by adding andsome water and keep it little coarse.
5. Mix both the mixtures of dal and rice together in a thick semi-liquid form. Now Idli batter is ready to ferment.
6. Keep the Idli batter in a big container and keep aside for at least 6-8 hours. Sometimes the fermentation process takes more time depending on the temperature. Once the batter is fermented it will double in size.
1. Take Idli steamer or a Idli cooker with enough water to boil on a high flame.
2. Grease the idli plates with few drops of oil.
3. Add salt to the batter and mix well. Fill the Idli plates with the batter.
4. When water gets heated arrange the Idli plates in the steamer or cooker.
5. Cover with lid and steam the idli’s for 10-12 minutes on medium-high flame.
6. Once the idli’s are steamed, remove the idli plates and put it aside for 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure idli must not be wet on top.
7. Remove the idlis from the plate with the help of spoon into a serving plate.
8. Serve the idli’s with Sambhar and Coconut Chutney.
Ingredients for Sambhar:
1.1 cup Tuver dal
2.1 tbsp Chana dal
2. ½ tbsp Urad dal
3. 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
4. ½ tbsp Cumin and Fenugreek seeds
5. 3 to 4 Red Chilies
6. 3-4 Green chilies
7. 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
8. 12 to 14 small Onions (Sambhar onions)
9. 5 to 6 Green Beans chopped
10. 1 chopped Carrot
11. 1 chopped Tomato
12. 2 Drumsticks (Cut into small pieces)
13. 1 tsp Turmeric powder
14. 1 tsp Red Chili powder
15. 2 tbsp Oil
16. 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
17. 10-12 Curry leaves
18. Salt as per taste
1. Cook tuver dal in a pressure cooker until it gets soft.
2. Now to prepare sambhar masala, roast chana dal, Urad dal and red chilies on a medium flame.
3. Then add coriander seeds and fenugreek seeds until it changes color.
4. Then add cumin seed into it and mix it. Let this all ingredient cool for some time and then grind it into a mixture. Sambhar masala is ready.
5. Take another pan and heat oil in it. Put mustard seed and let it and crackle. Add green chillies and curry leaves to it. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder and chopped tomatoes in it.
6. Once the tomatoes are soft, add carrot, drumstick, beans, and small onions into it and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Mix cooked tuver dal with these vegetables and add water as required.
9. Add salt and Sambhar masala and mix well.
10. Once the Dal starts boiling and vegetables are cooked, add tamarind pulp and mix it well.
11. Boil it for 3 to 4 minutes until you smell the aroma. Then turn off the stove and add cilantro, the Sambhar is ready to serve with idli.
Ingredients for coconut chutney:
1. 1 cup chopped pieces of Coconut
2. 2 tbsp Cilantro
3. 3-4 Green chilies
4. 3-4 Dried Red chilies
5. 1 tsp chopped ginger
6. ½ tsp Mustard seeds
7. ½ tsp Urad dal
8. 4-5 Curry leaves
8. 1 tbsp Oil
9. Salt and water as per requirement
1. Add coconut pieces, cilantro, green chilies, ginger, salt and little water into a blender.
2. Grind that in a smooth paste. If required and more water to adjust the consistency of the chutney.
3. Transfer this chutney into a bowl.
4. For tempering heat the oil on a medium flame. When oil gets heated add mustard seeds, Urad dal, red chilies, and curry leaves stir it for 30 seconds and remove the pan from the heat.
5. Pour the tempering over the coconut chutney, mix it once. The Coconut Chutney is ready to serve with Idli and Sambhar.