Moong Dal Vada one of my favorite crispy fritter which Indians love to have in Rainy season. This spicy delicious bite is very easy to prepare with few ingredients. The preparation does not take much effort. But the split green gram (Moong dal) has to be soaked for four to five hours. So this recipe has to be planned one and not for instant cook. You can try it with the readymade batter or instant cook packets available in the market but the real taste which I prefer is to try by myself at home.
Moong Dal vada can be prepare using splitted moong daal or by adding channa dal in it. Here we are taking only moong daal to get the soft and spongy vadas. In this pakoras the batter is kept thick. After the batter gets ready it should be deep fried in a small dumpling shape without giving time to fermentation.
Ingredients of moong Dal Vada:
2 cup soaked moong dal
2 tsp Ginger and Green Chili paste
11/2 tbsp Garlic paste
1/2 cup finely chopped Cilantro
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Black pepper powder
1/4 Garam masala
Salt as per taste
Oil for deep frying
Recipe for Moong Dal vada:
- Soak Moong Chilka dal in enough water for 4-5 hours.
- Peel of the dal and strain all the water from it.
- Now coarsely grind the Dal with very little water to make Vada batter.
- Add both the paste with cilantro, turmeric, red chili powder, black pepper and salt to the Dal batter.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Now deep fry the Vada’s on medium flame till it turns golden brown in color.
- Once the Vada’s are deep fried remove it on a serving plate.
You could top the Vadas with beated yogurt, cilantro mint chutney, tamarind chutney, a pinch of roasted cumin seeds powder and red chili Powder.
Here Moong dal is taken but for a change you can also take Moong dal and half of its measured Chana dal together. For a perfect vadas the only thing to remember is to grind the course dal to get the thick paste.