Hey girls, are you waiting for the Diwali Contest Winner Recipe and very much desperate to know the winner of the contest. Finally, the wait is over! Here is our winner recipe from New Delhi. Yes, Payal Mishra from New Delhi is the winner of GG Diwali Contest who had shared her innovation by combining two typical Diwali special sweets in one and made as simple Stuffed Balushahi with the stuffing of Ghughra also known as Gujiya, a Gujarati sweet prepared only at the time of Diwali.
Balushahi is a very famous sweet served also as a dessert in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal. This is famous in Rajasthan, Punjab, and Haryana and also it is famous as Badusha in Kerela, Tamil Nadu, Andhara Pradesh. This sweet seems like a sugar coated doughnut but is different in its taste. It is prepared with mainly three ingredients and that is all purpose flour, clarified butter, and sugar for the outer cover. Apart from these ingredients, the stuffed Balushahi needs Mawa – whole dried milk, cashews, almonds, semolina, and coconut to make the stuffing.
Stuffed Balushahi has a long process but a unique item to serve as a dessert. This sweet is famous in Rajbhog or Chappan bhog to serve a huge thali to the deity during festivals. This is also one of the sweet dishes in Gujarati, Rajasthani, Bangali thali in Indian Cuisine. This is served hot as after cooling the sugar syrup which is covered on it gets dried. But the sweet lovers also love the cool one as it gets dry dessert and easily packed while travelling.
So, here goes the recipe. Hope you like it and make it during the festival of Diwali and do share it with your loved ones.
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tbsp clarified butter
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
Water as required
200 gm Mawa-Whole dried milk
3 tbsp Powdered Sugar
2 tbsp Semolina
2 tbsp Grated Coconut
1 tbsp Chopped Cashews
1 tbsp Chopped Almonds
¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Water
¼ cardamom powder
Pinch of Saffron
- First take all purpose flour, clarified butter, baking soda and salt in a vessel and mix it properly with hand.
- Now gently prepare soft dough and cover it with wet cloth for 20 minutes.
- Roast semolina and coconut separately in a nonstick pan and keep it aside.
- Crumble the whole dried milk and sauté it in a non-stick pan at medium flame.
- After two to three minutes you will get the aroma of whole dried milk.
- Add chopped cashews, almonds, coconut and semolina and powdered sugar into it.
- Mix all the ingredients well and keep it aside to cool.
- Prepare sugar syrup by keeping sugar and water to a boil at medium flame.
- Till the time syrup gets ready make small balls of the Mawa stuffing.
- Your syrup must be half boiled so you can add cardamom powder and saffron into it.
- Remember the sugar consistency should be of 2 threads.
- Now take the dough and prepare small puri’s and cover it with wet cloth so it does not get dried.
- Time for stuffing the puri’s. Put the Mawa stuffing balls inside the puri and cover it properly from the top and slightly press it the middle from the finger. Do it with all the puri’s.
- Deep fry your stuffed puri at medium flame and you will see it turns into light brownish in color. Flip it and cook on the other side too.
- As the color changes take out the stuffed puri and dip into the sugar syrup.
- Your Stuffed Balushahi is ready to serve.
- Take out the Balushahi with the help of small spoon and arrange in your serving plate.
- Garnish it with grated almonds and cashew nuts.
Congratulations Payal for winning the #GGDiwaliContest and we are delighted to feature your recipe on GirlsGlamour!!! Some other contestants whose recipes we liked were Dates Laddoo by Sheetal P, Coconut Barfi by Aabha Sharma, Sabudana Kheer by Tejaswi Challapu, Chocolate Broken Wheat Kheer by Arathi Raghuveer. Thanks to all the participants.
A very Happy Diwali to you all.