Gujarati Undhiyu is a very rich winter dish that includes variety of vegetables specific to this season. Undhiyu is the signature dish of Gujarat and is a must in every house on the day of Uttrayan. Uttrayan is also known as Makar Sankranti in other parts of the country. Gujarati’s have a fun filled day by kite flying on their rooftops and enjoying the winter delicacies such as Undhiyu with Poori, Jalebi, and don’t forget the crisp Til Chikki (Sesame Brittle). This lip smacking dish is very heavy on stomach as it has good amount of peanut oil and spices, along with hyacinth beans, pigeon peas, purple yam, sweet potatoes, brinjals, and raw banana.
Making undhiyu is not that easy as it takes quite amount of time in the preparation. Gujarati Undhiyu consists of three main steps. First is making Methi Muthiya(fried dumplings with fenugreek leaves), second is making Ravaiya (stuffed green baby brinjals) and the third and final step is to do the tempering of Undhiyu and mixing all the fried vegetables. This recipe is from my kitchen and can serve a big family. So let’s start with the preparations and make the best Undhiyu this festival of Uttrayan and please our loved ones.
Methi Muthiya Recipe
- 1 Cup Coarse Gram Flour(Chickpea Flour)
- 2 Tbsp Coarse Wheat Flour
- ½ Tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Cup chopped Fenugreek Leaves
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- ¼ Tsp Carom Seeds
- 1 Tsp oil + Oil for frying
- Salt as per taste
Method for making Methi Muthiya:
- Sieve both the flours in a bowl and add salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, sugar, baking soda, and carom seeds in it.
- Put 1 tsp oil in it and gently mix all the ingredients with hand.
- Now add chopped fenugreek leaves and lemon juice and mix it well with flour.
- Add little water and prepare the dough.
- Make small elongated cylindrical rolls of about 1 inch length with all the dough.
- Once all the muthiya’s are made. Deep fry them till golden brown and crisp from outside. Keep them aside.
Ravaiya Recipe – Stuffed Baby Green Brinjals
- 150 grams Green Baby Brinjals
- ½ cup coarsely crushed Pigeon Peas (Tuver)
- ½ Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Powder Sugar
- ½ Tsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tsp oil
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
Method for stuffing the Ravaiya:
- Take coarsely crushed Pigeon Peas in a bowl and add ginger-garlic paste, lemon juice, sugar, salt, oil, and asafoetida. Mix it well.
- Wash and wipe baby brinjals and put a crisscross cut from the base of the brinjals to stuff the masala.
- Fill this masala in the brinjals and keep them aside.
- Uncooked Stuffed Brinjals are ready.
Tempering & Cooking Undhiyu
Ingredients of udhiyu:
- 500 grams Potatoes
- 250 grams Sweet Potatoes
- 150 grams Purple Yam (Ratalu)
- 500 grams Fava Beans (Valor Papdi)
- 150 grams Hyacinth Beans (Surti Papdi)
- 400 grams fresh Pigeon Peas (Tuver)
- 250 grams Tomatoes
- 2 Raw Banana
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ Tsp Asafoetida
- 1 Cup Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ Cup Green Chili Paste
- 1½ Cup chopped Coriander Leaves
- 100 grams Jaggery
- 2 Tsp Garam Masala (Everest Powder)
- 2 Tsp Sesame Seeds
- ½ Cup fresh grated Coconut
- Salt as per taste
- ½ Cup Peanut Oil
Method of Undhiyu:
- Wash and chop potatoes, sweet potatoes, and purple yam in thick pieces.
- Wipe it with clean towel and deep fry these root vegetables one at a time.
- Also deep fry raw banana and keep it on a paper towel.
- Take fava beans, hyacinth beans, and pigeon peas and boil it in water till cooked. Transfer the beans and peas into a colander and let it strain.
- Heat a big pan or pressure cooker and put peanut oil in it. For the tempering, add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida, ginger garlic paste, and green chili paste.
- When the nice aroma of garlic appears, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and give it a quick stir.
- Gently put the ravaiya in it and cover the pan with a lid. Let the brinjals cook in for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat or until half done
- Now add cooked pigeon peas, hyacinth beans, fried potatoes, sweet potatoes, purple yam and mix everything well.
- Add salt, jaggery and sesame seeds and stir it gently.
- Add in the methi muthiya’s, chopped tomatoes, and fried banana.
- Gently mix all the vegetables.
- Add a little water and cook for about ten minutes on medium heat.
- Gujarati Undhiyu is now ready.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and grated coconut.