Veg Kolhapuri is a Maharashtrian spicy vegetable dish that comes from Kolhapur, Maharashtra. Kolhapur is famous as a historic city as well as for growing hot red chilies. This spicy red curry with plenty of vegetables is made using a blend of Indian spices along with coconut and red chilies. These spices are roasted to release its oil and enhance the flavor to the dish. I have prepared this curry using combination of vegetables such as Cauliflower, Carrots, Green Beans, Capsicum, and Peas. You can also substitute Potatoes, Pumpkin, and Paneer with any vegetable. Boiled vegetables are cooked in thick and spicy gravy made using onion, tomatoes, along with ginger and garlic. And to give the authentic taste, Kolhapuri masala is added which makes the dish aromatic. This is super spicy vegetable curry so you can reduce the red chili if you want the curry to be mild. Veg Kolhapuri is served in restaurants all over India with Naan, plain paratha, or rice as main course. This recipe is little time consuming but once you have your vegetables and Kolhapuri Masala ready, it will be made in very less time. So let’s not wait and see the ingredients and a detailed recipe of Veg Kolhapuri.
Ingredients for Veg Kolhapuri:
100 gm Cauliflower
100 gm Capsicum
50 gm Chopped Carrots
50 gm Green Peas
25 gm French Beans
½ Cup Onion finely chopped
½ Cup Tomatoes finely chopped
¼ Cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
½ Cup Cashews
2 Tbsp Refined Oil
½ Tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Dried Red Chili
1 Bay Leaf
1/4 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt as per requirement
Ingredients for the Kolhapuri Masala:
½ Cup tightly packed Grated Coconut
2 Dried Red Chili
½ Tsp Poppy Seeds
½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
¼ Tsp Fennel Seeds
1 Tsp Coriander Seeds
1 Medium Black Cardamom Pod/ Green Cardamom Pod
½ inch Cinnamon Stick
3 Black Pepper
Method for Kolhapuri Masala:
1. Heat a nonstick pan and dry roast coconut powder and keep it aside in a plate.
2. Now using the same pan, dry roast the remaining ingredients of the Kolhapuri Masala.
3. Add dried red chili, poppy seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, and black pepper to the pan. Roast on medium heat till you get a nice aroma. Keep tossing the spices to give it a quick stir.
4. Once the spices cool a bit, grind them to a fine powder along with grated coconut.
5. Kolhapuri Masala is ready for this dish. You can double the quantity of dry spices and make the masala for your next use.
Method of Veg Kolhapuri :
1. Wash and chop cauliflower and capsicum. Cut carrots and french beans lengthwise.
2. Boil cauliflower, carrots, french beans, and green peas with little salt for 5-6 minutes. The vegetables should be half cooked and not get mushy. You can also steam the vegetables.
3. Now strain the boiled vegetables and keep them side.
4. Grind the cashews into a fine paste by grinding it with some water.
5. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add bay leaf and dry red chili.
6. Now add chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent. Also add ginger garlic paste and give it a nice stir.
7. Add in the tomatoes and cook till they get soft and mushy. Once the tomatoes are cooked add capsicum and saute for a minute.
8. Put the prepared Kolhapuri Masala and turmeric powder into the pan and mix well. Saute well till the oil separates from the masala.
9. Add in cashew paste and stir well.
10. Now add all the half cooked veggies and salt. Mix it well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
11. Mix in one cup water and let the gravy simmer for 10-12 minutes.
12. Garnish Veg Kolhapuri with coriander leaves and serve hot with Naan, Paratha or Rice.