Happy New Year to all our readers. May this year bring happiness, friendship, and prosperity to all our families
People all over the world celebrate January 1st as New Year with great enthusiasm and cheer. They welcome the New Year with music and dance, and they party all night just to welcome the beginning of another year. Some like to celebrate and enjoy with friends at a party or event and some like to stay indoors with just close family and make the celebration a memorable one. The celebration begins from the evening of December 31st and last till early hours of January 1st. The party place is beautifully decorated with lights and decorations. And when it is 12 AM, the sky is filled with colorful fireworks that brighten the whole sky.
People even take New Year Resolutions for the coming year. And they try hard to achieve their New Year goals whether it is losing weight, quitting smoking, or to exercise every day. These resolutions just lie around us; it has nothing to do with anybody else, community, or the country. But do we really need a specific day to make resolutions and follow them to make some good changes in ourselves or our country? The answer is No. Each day brings in new hopes and new aspirations, it’s we who has to grab this opportunity and bring the change. If we give up and let go the precious moment just to wait for New Year to fulfill our goal, then there is surely a possibility that we have lost our chance to even give it a try.
Each one of us like to celebrate, enjoy, and party with friends and family but how many of us think about bringing a little smile on not so privileged kids by giving them the basics of life that is food, water, and warm clothes for winter. There are many old age homes in the country where there are many elderly men and women who wait throughout the year for their son and daughter to come and visit them. Can’t we bring a smile on their face by visiting them regularly? I am sure they’ll call us as their son and daughter.
“The real winners in life are the people who look at every situation with an expectation that they can make it work or make it better.”
We all are waiting for the Prime Minister to bring back the good days and for that some of us are even criticizing him, but as a citizen of the country, are we doing our part? Just one man cannot make a better nation, it is a team work. I, you, we, all of us need to come together to make a beautiful and developing country. It is very easy to point out mistakes but it takes great courage to take a stand and bring a change.
I take resolution on New Year for myself but somehow in a month or two it’s hard for me to stick to it and finally I give up. But this year I have taken a pledge to build a better me as well as a better country.
- STOP Food Wastage: Food is important for every living being to survive and grow. Whether it’s human or animal, we all need food to live. So why is it being wasted? Recent studies say that one-third of the food produced in the country is getting wasted at harvesting, transporting, packaging, and consuming. Whether it is a party, wedding, or any big event, tons of cooked food is wasted. Instead of throwing away the food, pack the food and send it to the shelters for the needy at the earliest so the food doesn’t get spoil. Buy and cook as per the need and store any leftovers in the fridge and reuse them.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle: Try to go green by following these three ‘R’s which will help to minimize waste. Reduce the use of paper and plastic as we all know that waste is one of the biggest problems that the world is facing. Recycle paper, tin, plastic. Some of the food waste from fruits and vegetables, yard waste can be recycled into organic compost that is added to plants which helps the plants to grow. Instead of plastic bags, carry your own fabric bags to carry groceries. Stop using plastic straws, containers, and bags. Plastic is the worst enemy of our planet and it is harming many animals and sea creatures. Other way to go green is to make use of reusable or biodegradable dinnerware at a party. Following these ‘R’s will not only save money but also will help our environment to be healthy and safe.
- Be Kind and Helpful: Being kind will not cost you anything. It will only make you feel good about yourself. Try to help the ones who are really in need. Help can be as little as lending your seat in a bus or train to any old or a lady, helping can be sharing some drinking water to the needy on a hot summer day, another way to help someone is by giving your food to a poor. If you see a mom with a cranky kid in a store, don’t judge her; instead offer her your help. Some kind words and a little help with money, food, or even your old clothes which you are not using anymore can save someone’s life. Being kind and helpful is just like doing good without expecting anything in return.
- Donate & Volunteer: Everyone is busy with their home and work in today’s world. But, if you have some free time and that dedication to serve the community then you can volunteer and help the society. You can volunteer at your local schools, library, senior center, or you can also tutor kids in your neighborhood. You can even visit special needs school and spend some of your time with beautiful kids who always love making new friends. And if you can, you should donate food, clothing, and money to different charities. ‘Be a Friend’ and do something for the society from your part, and I am sure it will give you inner peace and happiness.
- Eat Healthy Stay Healthy: It is very important for one to be healthy and active when you have to serve the community. And for that you need to eat healthy and nutritional food. A healthy and balanced diet is the key to good health. So try including fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains, dairy, nuts & seeds, egg, meat in your daily diet. Instead of picking sugary drinks and sodas, opt for plain water and freshly made pure juice. A healthy diet will provide you the necessary nutrients that will improve your overall health. Limit salt, sugar, and highly processed foods, instead go for fresh foods.
- Exercise: Being healthy refers to a good lifestyle which includes eating healthy food and doing exercise. At least 30 minutes of exercise per day will keep you away from many diseases like hypertension, diabetes, and osteoporosis. Exercise helps to reduce stress and depression and improves your mood by relaxing your mind. There are different forms of exercise which can help you to improve your overall strength and keep you fit and healthy. Regular exercise helps in controlling body weight which in turn reduces the risk of many health problems. It improves the blood circulation in the body and relaxes the muscles.
- Meditation: Meditation is a way to connect your heart, mind, and yourself. Just by closing your eyes and siting in a relaxed position will help you with so many problems. It will not only reduce stress but also keep your inner self calm. Meditation is the best way to keep our thoughts and mind at peace by giving inner self the strength to perform daily activities and handle all situations. It brightens our mind by generating new ideas and improves concentration. If you haven’t meditated before, then start with 5-10 minutes initially, and can increase gradually to keep your mind and body refreshed all day.
- Plant Trees: Planting trees in our surroundings is beneficial as per the current environment condition. Excessive heat and scarcity of rain is leading to drought, wildfires, and shortage of clean drinking water. Planting trees will provide us with fresh air, increase oxygen level and reduce ozone, reduces heat, prevents soil erosion, conserve energy, reduces water evaporation from the lands, and also trees protect us from the harmful ultra violet rays of sun. So, let’s plant and nurture a tree to save our environment.
A little change can make a big difference. So lets join hands together by giving back to our community and making it beautiful place by doing simple things. This New Year, I am taking vows to make myself better, to make my surrounding better, and to save our planet.
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Its time to forget the past and start a New Beginning